As the winter season approaches, many of us may find ourselves dealing with excess moisture indoors, leading to problems like mold, mildew, and peeling paint. Fortunately, there is a solution: small dehumidifiers. These appliances are perfect for targeting specific areas of your home that are prone to excess moisture, like your bedroom, bathroom, closets, and even your RV.
In this article, we’ll discuss the best small dehumidifiers for your home, including what to consider when choosing one, and how we selected our top picks.
What to Consider
When choosing a small dehumidifier, the extraction rate is an important factor to consider. This refers to how much moisture the dehumidifier can remove from the air per day. For small dehumidifiers, the average is between 10 and 20 ounces. If you’re only targeting the bathroom during and after showers, you can probably get away with a lower extraction rate. For all-day control in high-humidity rooms, aim for higher extraction rates.
As dehumidifiers remove moisture from the air, they store the water in an on-board tank. Models with small tanks require more frequent emptying, but large tanks may be heavier and harder to carry. Most dehumidifiers automatically turn off when the tank is full, so it doesn’t spill over.
Another benefit of small dehumidifiers is that they’re often much easier to empty than larger models. With a full-size option, you typically need a drain hose (and somewhere to drain it to), but with compact models, you can simply remove the reservoir and dump it out in the sink, toilet, or outside. If you prefer to go the drain hose route, there are some small models that are compatible with hoses as well.
Dehumidifiers create a low humming noise when they’re running. Some find this comforting, like a white noise machine, but it can be annoying if it’s too loud. For the quietest options, look for models that use methods other than compressors—such as the thermo-electric method used in our top pick from Pro Breeze. Manufacturers typically don’t list decibels for dehumidifiers of this size, so we’ve scoured reviews to determine the quietest small dehumidifiers.
Our Top Picks
1. Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier
For rooms up to 250 square feet, the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier is a top choice. It’s compact and easy to carry thanks to a built-in handle, yet it’s still powerful, extracting 18 ounces of water from the air each day. Plus, it has a larger water tank than many other models we recommend, holding up to 52 ounces—that’s up to three days at maximum extraction. This dehumidifier has an auto shut-off function when the water tank is full, and because it uses a thermo-electric cooling system to pull moisture from the air, it’s notably quieter than models that use a compressor.
2. Pohl Schmitt Small Electric Dehumidifier for Home
The Pohl Schmitt electric dehumidifier is an inexpensive option for removing moisture in small rooms. It has a simple on/off toggle switch for operation, and can remove up to 10 ounces of water from the air per day. Its water tank holds up to 17 ounces total, which is one of the smallest tanks, but it isn’t surprising at this price. The unit will automatically shut off when it needs to be emptied. This small dehumidifier is quiet during operation, so it won’t interrupt your daily activities, but users agree it’s most effective in small rooms despite the brand’s claims that it can support a space up to 225 square feet.
3. Pure Enrichment PureDry Mini Dehumidifier
The Pure Enrichment PureDry Mini Dehumidifier has a sleek, simple appearance, which makes it less of an eyesore than other models—ideal if you’re placing it in your living space. All you have to do is flip its power switch and it will get to work, removing 10 ounces of moisture from the air each day. This dehumidifier is best suited for small spaces, such as a bathroom, and it will automatically shut off when its 27-ounce water tank is full. Its thermo-electric cooling system means it’s quiet during operation, and it has received high marks from users for its efficiency.
– Using a dehumidifier can help alleviate allergies and respiratory problems by removing excess moisture and preventing mold growth.
– Dehumidifiers can also help reduce energy costs in the summer by making your air conditioning more efficient.
– It’s important to properly clean and maintain your dehumidifier to prevent mold and bacteria growth. Regularly emptying and cleaning the water tank, replacing filters, and periodically wiping down the surface of the dehumidifier can help keep it running effectively.
– Small dehumidifiers are an effective way to target excess moisture in specific areas of your home, like your bathroom, closet, or RV.
– When choosing a small dehumidifier, consider factors like extraction rate, capacity, drainage, and noise.
– Our top picks include the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier, Pohl Schmitt Small Electric Dehumidifier for Home, and Pure Enrichment PureDry Mini Dehumidifier.
– Using a dehumidifier can have additional benefits like reducing allergies and respiratory problems, and making your air conditioning more efficient.
– Proper maintenance and cleaning are important for keeping your dehumidifier running effectively.
In conclusion, a small dehumidifier is a valuable investment for those dealing with excess moisture in certain areas of their home. Our top picks offer a range of options for different needs and budgets, so you can find the one that’s right for you. Just remember to consider factors like extraction rate, capacity, drainage, and noise, and regularly maintain and clean your dehumidifier for optimal performance.