Virginia Tech is hosting a three-day New Music + Technology Festival from May 1-3, celebrating the junction of experimental music and innovative technology, showcasing a variety of performance styles from dance to multimedia to live coding. Students and professionals will interact, creating a robust culture of creative technologies and performance. The festivals aim is to promote and push artistic and technical boundaries in the music industry. The festival features creative technologies graduate student, Clare Suess, who designed and crafted her instruments that the Virginia Tech New Music Ensemble will play during the event. Other musical performances include the Virginia Tech Percussion Ensemble, choreographed work by Scotty Harwig, and Fifth Bridge’s premiere of a new work for five trumpets and electronics.
Averett University announces graduation speaker
Buddy Curry, former NFL player, co-founder of Kids & Pros, a Georgia-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to teaching proper football techniques, safety techniques and life skills to pre-high school youth, will deliver the Averett University commencement address on May 6. Curry played eight seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, was named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, and was selected for two Pro Bowls. Curry will speak to the graduating class of 2023 and joined by 11 veterans and nine international students from Argentina, Bahamas, Belarus, Canada, Finland, Guatemala, and Sweden.
Virginia Tech launches post-doctoral research program
Virginia Tech selects six post-doctoral students from the community of over 200 postdocs as their first Research and Innovation Postdoctoral Scholar program cohort, joining the incoming Presidential Postdoctoral Fellows. The year-long, community-building experience aims to build valuable skills, networking with industry partners, and create a positive impact. Scholars in the program will attend professional development workshops on topics ranging from grant writing to leadership, management training, and science communication.
– Virginia Tech has several colleges and departments, including the College of Engineering, College of Science, College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences, and College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
– Virginia Tech is a public land-grant research university in Blacksburg, Virginia, United States.
– Averett University is a private Baptist college in Danville, Virginia, United States.
– Averett University offers undergraduate degrees in over 30 majors of study and five graduate-level programs.
– Virginia Tech has over 370 student organizations, a large community of researchers, and world-renowned athletic programs.
– The Virginia Tech website offers a virtual tour of the university, showcasing academic buildings, recreational spaces, and other landmarks.
– Virginia Tech is known for its VT-shaped curve and the school’s motto, “Invent the Future.”
– Thousands of alumni from Virginia Tech now work for fortune 500 businesses, leading companies, and serve in government positions.
– In recent years, Virginia Tech has expanded through strategic partnerships and campus expansions.
– In 2020, Averett University launched a one-of-a-kind esports program, becoming one of the first universities in Virginia to do so.
Virginia Tech and Averett University celebrate student accomplishments, offer innovative educational programs, and provide resources for their student body’s professional and personal growth. These universities aim to develop and inspire their students’ entrepreneurial mindset, cultural awareness, and foster a diverse environment.
Virginia Tech’s New Music + Technology Festival, Averett University’s graduation speaker, and Virginia Tech’s Research and Innovation Postdoctoral Scholar Program exemplify the universities’ dedication to creativity, innovation, and community building. These programs strive to inspire their students and staff to work towards their future and create meaningful and positive experiences.